Jeannine M. Harrell, MA, a licensed professional counselor associate with offices in Mount Pleasant, is offering a complimentary session to local cancer patients, or caregivers, or CanCare volunteers.
Ms. Harrell says, “Human beings are naturally resilient, but it’s also natural to feel overwhelmed at times.” She notes on her website that counseling helps as you explore the emotions you have related to the issues in your life.
How does counseling help cancer patients?
According to Cancer.net and the American Society of Clinical Oncology, getting counseling can help you:
- Learn ways to cope with a cancer diagnosis and feel less overwhelmed and more in control.
- Explore what your cancer experience means to you.
- Manage depression and anxiety.
- Manage cancer symptoms and treatment side effects, such as pain and fatigue.
- Learn how to communicate effectively with the health care team.
- Address relationship issues with family and friends.
- Discuss financial concerns and identify helpful resources.
- Explore options and get feedback about important decisions.
- Consider workplace issues and strategies to manage them.
- Discuss your concerns about what comes after finishing treatment.
- Learn how to help your family understand and adjust to changes in routine.